Withdraw 401k When Leaving US+H1B

Some of the links in this article may contain affiliate links, for which we earn a commission at no additional cost to you. By using our website, you hereby consent to our privacy disclaimer and agree to its terms.​

Withdraw 401k When Leaving US+H1B

Table of Contents

Returning to your home country after spending years working in the United States is a thrilling adventure. It’s like stepping back into a world filled with nostalgia and new beginnings. 

However, there’s one critical aspect that you need to take care of before you set foot on your home soil – your retirement plan. Your 401(k) has been your faithful companion, helping you build a secure financial future. But what happens to 401(k) when you’re living abroad?

Can you access your 401(k) while sipping coffee in a quaint café in your hometown? And what about that H1B visa you once held – how does it influence your ability to tap into your 401(k)? 

In this article, we explore the various withdrawal options you have to access your 401(k) funds as you move abroad.

How to Withdraw 401k When Leaving US+H1B Visa

If you’re an H1B visa holder and you’re planning to return to your home country, you’ve got a few options when it comes to your 401(k). 

Let’s break them down for you:

Lump Sum Distributions

You can choose to take the entire balance of your 401(k) account as a lump-sum distribution. While it might feel like you’ve struck gold, this option comes with some tax consequences. The distribution is subject to income taxes, and you might also face a 10% early withdrawal penalty if you’re under 59½ years old. So, think twice before you cash in your chips!

Regular Withdrawals

If you prefer a steady income stream, regular withdrawals might be the way to go. You can set up a schedule for periodic withdrawals – monthly, quarterly, or annually, whatever suits your needs. 

This option lets you control how much you withdraw and when. But, just like the lump sum, you’ll still need to pay income tax on the withdrawals, and that pesky 10% early withdrawal penalty is lurking if you’re under 59½.

Annuitize Your 401(k)

Annuitizing your 401(k) involves converting your 401(k) money into an annuity, which provides a fixed income for either your lifetime or a set number of years. 

But remember, with great security comes some trade-offs. You lose control over your investments, and the income generated by the annuity might not keep up with inflation, potentially affecting your purchasing power over time. So, it’s a bit like a long-term commitment.

Wait for RMDs

Required Minimum Distributions (RMDs) are like the alarm clock for your 401(k). They kick in once you reach the age of 72. 

The IRS uses these withdrawals to ensure you start taking taxable distributions from your retirement accounts. If you’re approaching 72, you can consider waiting it out until your RMDs start rolling in.

Tax Implications on 401(k) Withdrawals When Leaving the US with an H1B Visa

Let us discuss some of the tax implications you may face when you start making withdrawals from your 401(k): 

Federal Income Tax

The IRS requires a mandatory 20% withholding for federal income tax when you make a distribution. 

Depending on your withdrawal method and total income for the year, you may owe additional taxes when you file your annual return. So, make sure you’re prepared for tax season!

Early Withdrawal Penalties

If you’re under 59½ when you dip into your 401(k), you’ll have to face a 10% early withdrawal penalty on top of any taxes. But there are exceptions to this penalty, like financial hardships, disability, or certain early retirement situations. 

Your Home Country Taxes

If your home country taxes international earnings, you’ll be on the hook when you withdraw from your 401(k). However, if your home country has a tax treaty with the US, you might get away with paying income taxes only once, depending on the terms of the tax treaty. So, do some homework on your country’s tax agreements.

Related: 401(k) wIthdrawal options if you move back to India

What do you need to withdraw from your 401(k)?

You’ve got to jump through a few hoops to access your 401(k) from overseas. Here’s your checklist:

Proof of Visa Status

First, you’ll need to provide proof of your H1B visa status. This could be your visa approval notice (I-797 form) or a valid visa stamp in your passport. Once you have this info, you’re good to go.

Withdraw 401k When Leaving US+H1B

Choose a Withdrawal Option

Decide how you want to receive your 401(k) withdrawal, whether it’s a lump sum or partial withdrawal. If you’re opting for a direct deposit, be ready to provide payment details. Contact your 401(k) plan provider to set things in motion.

Tax Forms

Depending on your withdrawal method and tax treaty status between your country and the US, you may need specific tax forms to complete the process. For instance, if you’re a non-resident alien, the W-8BEN tax form might be your new best friend.

Personal Identification

You’ll also need to provide personal identification details. A government-issued photo ID, such as your passport, driver’s license, or state ID, will do the trick. Just something to prove you are who you say you are.

Social Security Number or ITIN

Don’t forget your Social Security Number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number. You need one of these for tax reporting. You probably provided this information when you opened your 401(k) account, and it’s going to be important for withdrawals, too.

Can I Move My 401(k) to an Offshore Account?

While it’s possible to transfer your 401(k) to an offshore account, there are some important things to consider. 

First, check if your 401(k) plan even allows direct transfers to offshore accounts. If it doesn’t, you might be out of luck. 

Then, brace yourself for the tax implications – U.S. income tax, potential early withdrawal penalties, and strict reporting requirements for offshore accounts. Plus, you’ll need to navigate foreign account compliance and currency exchange fees. 

Beware of scams and unreliable financial institutions when opening an offshore account. It’s a wild ride, so consider consulting a financial expert before taking the plunge.

Can I Transfer My 401(k) to My Checking Account?

You can transfer your 401(k) funds to your checking account as you bid farewell to the United States. But, here’s the twist – this distribution is generally considered taxable income. And, depending on your age and the circumstances, you might also face early withdrawal penalties if you’re under 59½. So, don’t rush this transfer – plan it carefully to minimize those tax consequences.

Can I Freeze My 401(k)?

You can’t exactly “freeze” your 401(k) like you would a bank account. However, you do have some options for making adjustments. You can change how your investments are allocated within your 401(k) account, giving you more control over your financial future. 

Another option is rolling over your 401(k) into an Individual Retirement Account (IRA), but that can come with its own set of rules and tax considerations. Remember, your 401(k) is meant for long-term retirement savings, so any changes should align with your retirement goals.


In a nutshell, accessing your 401(k) as an H1B visa holder leaving the U.S. can be a complex process. Tax laws and regulations can be tricky, so it’s essential to stay informed about any changes. 

Don’t embark on this adventure alone. Consult a tax professional – they’re like your financial GPS, helping you navigate the tricky tax waters and make informed decisions. So, take a deep breath, pack your financial knowledge, and get ready for this exciting chapter in your life!

Ready to Elevate Your Retirement Strategy?

Bi-Weekly emails, with only the best tips.

Ready to Elevate Your Retirement Strategy?

Bi-Weekly emails, with only the best tips.